Skip to content

Benjamin Lucas Byxbe, April 28, 2013

May 8, 2013


Our May baby came as an April surprise! Exactly three weeks before his due date, Benjamin Lucas Byxbe arrived at 9:31 a.m. on Sunday, April 28th, weighing 8 lbs 4 oz and measuring 20″ long.

While my first pregnancy was declared “boring” by my then doctor, this pregnancy was anything but! Gestational diabetes, gall stones, high fluid, and measuring full-term an entire month before I technically should were all minor complications that made for a very uncomfortable pregnancy.

If my first delivery was long, drawn out and a bit emergent, this second one was quick, albeit unexpected, and calm. Around two in the morning on April 28th, I rolled over in bed thinking I needed to go to the bathroom. As I tried to heave my 37 week pregnant body out of bed, I felt my water break. When others say you just know when your water breaks, they are not kidding! I tried to run to the bathroom (but even not pregnant and 30 pounds lighter, I’m not much of a runner) as I’m yelling to Ben that my water just broke (okay, this wasn’t exactly the calmest part of the story!). I’m panicking a little bit at this point but the on-call doctor says I should wait six hours before coming to the hospital. Six hours!?! In my mind, water breaking = immediately proceed to the hospital, do not pass go, do not collect $200. And then she tells me to go back to bed. Ha! Back to bed, yeah right. After cleaning up, I spend the next couple of hours texting family and friends but definitely not sleeping. Ben on the other hand, who is always the calm and collected one, has the good sense to actually go back to sleep knowing it’ll be out last night of decent sleep for months.

At 5:30 a.m., the on-call doctor calls back after reviewing my not boring medical file, to ask us to come on into the hospital. Apparently after she talked with me at 2:15, she had to deliver a couple of other babies before getting a chance to review my file. With the series of minor complications I had, she thought it was best to come on in.

We arrived at the hospital at 6:30 a.m., by 8:30 the doctor made the call that we needed to proceed with a c-section, and by 9:30 a.m. our dark-haired, three pounds heavier than his brother at birth baby was born. Surgery always makes me a little nervous (especially the kind where I’m numb from the chest down but completely cognizant), so Ben held my hand the whole time and I cried at the first glimpse I got of Luke.

Two and half years ago I was a very anxious first time mom, so I’m relieved that this time I’ve been more calm and relaxed, making it much easier to enjoy having a new baby around despite the sleep deprivation!

Here’s a side-by-side of my two boys from birth, Reed on the left, Luke on the right.

ReedNB LukeNB



No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: